Would you like to know how to look after your skin in summer?
Exposure to the sun can lead to premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, marks, dry skin, and even skin cancer over time.
It is imperative that you take the right precautions, diet & skincare routine in order to not only maintain a radiant glow, but also to reverse sun damage.
The Sun is made up of 4 types of rays:
- Ultraviolet A (UVA): promotes skin aging.
- Ultraviolet B (UVB: sunburn, allergic reactions and skin cancers.
- Ultraviolet C (UVC): a large fraction of these are filtered by the ozone layer, but are the most harmful.
- Infra red (IR): “heat” from the sun, damaging the collagen, sunburn
You can avoid sun damage by:
- Wear Maximum protection, sun block cream throughout the year, with more regular applications in the summer. e.g. Sun Blockex® by Pharmaclinix®
- Stay out of the sun between the hours of 10am and 3pm. The hottest part of the day during the summer causes the most damage.
- Avoid tanning beds. These are also linked to cancer. Its safer to use self- tanning lotions.
- Have a minimum of 7 hours sleep. Lack of sleep can lead to increased levels of stress hormones, which may slow the production of collagen in the skin, leading to premature ageing.
Use a toner
A skin toner will keep the pores closed and keep the skin cool. You can try rose water as its natural cooling properties are excellent for summer.
Use face wash
Clean your face at least twice a day to get rid of the grime. Lightenex® Face Wash by Pharmaclinix® is excellent, as it also whitens the darkened patches.
Exfoliate your skin
You should exfoliate your skin at least twice a week as it will help remove unwanted dead skin which may be clogging your pores and also improving blood circulation to the face.
Moisturize your skin
Use a rich moisturizer containing Aloe Vera to hydrate the skin & soothe sun burnt skin.
Give your skin a break.
Avoid make-up, to let your skin breathe. However, do use a total sun protection cream, e.g. Sun Blockex® by Pharmaclinix®
Use lip balm
To keep your lips soft with natural glow of your skin.
Protect your skin
- Wear light colour cotton fabrics that won’t itch, or overheat
- Wear a wide-brim hat.
- Wear sunglasses
Drink lots of water. This not only hydrates the skin, but also flushes away the toxins, which can damage all organs, especially the kidneys.
Avoid aerated drinks
Aerated drinks contain lots of sugar which is not good for your face instead drink water, fresh lime, fresh fruit juices or coconut water.
Avoid alcohol & Caffeine
they reduce the water content from the body system.
Eat healthy foods.
- Greek yoghurt is a healthy addition to your diet as it’s sugar free and natural, with a lot of protein
- Water melon: this contains 90% water keep you hydrated & less hungry.
- Oranges: rich in Vitamin C & keeps you hydrated.
- Celery and fennel: act as diuretics, helping you lose excess water weight without causing dehydration.
- Blackberries and Raspberries
High in vitamin C and Fiber
- Apricots, Peaches, dried Nectarines
Rich in fiber, vitamin A & vitamin C.
- Salads & Greens
Carotenoids in orange and dark-green foods, converts to vitamin A, which protects skin from sun damage. “They decrease sensitivity to UV light and mend flaky and dry skin.
The flavonoids are powerful disease fighters & increase the blood flow to skin and decrease sensitivity to light, which improves skin’s appearance, structure and texture.
Fish like salmon, contain protein with a high concentration of Omega 3, which helps reduce heart disease.
- Green Tea
Excellent to prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol, & increase metabolism
Rinse skin after swimming.
The chlorine can dry out your skin or even result in an allergic reaction.
Avoid spraying Perfume on your skin in the sun.
This can permanently stain your skin when they react with the sun.
Excessive heat is known to put the body under enormous strain causing irritability, lack of concentration, exhaustion and sleeping problem.
By following these simple steps, you will not be able to protect against sun damage, but may even be able to reverse the damage.